Hair Defines Us So Hair Loss Can be Devastating
For many people their hair defines them. Women spend exorbitant amounts of money at hair salons trying new colours and styles, while men continuously source haircare products to keep their hair from thinning and hairlines from receding. So, when any one of us find clumps of hair on the bathroom floor a sense of panic often sets in. In most cases, the panic is unfounded because shedding hair is part of everyday life. On
average, you can lose up to 50-100 strands a day (you have approximately 90,000-150,000 hairs on your head), and at this very moment, only 80% of your hair is actually growing. The growing phase of that 80% is said to last between 2-6 years (varying per person) while the other 20% that is no longer growing can take up to 3 months before it falls out to make room for the new strands. Hair loss in women tends to be more temporary whereas in men it can be more permanent. If you begin to shed more hair than usual, it may be time to look at some triggers that are causing the hair loss. Look at the roots of the hair that has fallen out. If the ends are blunt, your hair may be breaking off rather than falling out. This may indicate a nutrient deficiency. If the ends are more tapered, your hair may be falling out from the roots (which may be symbolic of a health issue or heritage). Other than hereditary reasons – men are more affected with various forms of hair loss that can lead to baldness – most of the reasons for hair loss are the same for men and women. For example, poor nutritional habits, deficiency in vitamins and minerals, crash dieting, traumatic experience and stress, long or short-term illness, some drug interactions and medical treatments. Hormonal imbalances (for example estrogen or progesterone) affect hair loss in both sexes. However, a hormonal imbalance in men tends to cause more significant and permeant hair loss, whereas with women it is temporary. Thyroid conditions in both men and women can also be a significant cause of hair loss. Touching on male pattern baldness before we move on to prevention, if your parents or close relatives had thinning hair leading to baldness, there is no magic pill to reverse genetics.
Get to the Root of the Problem
Looking at the various reasons for hair loss there is only one that is within your preventative control. If your hair loss is hereditary, you are predisposed to thinning hair (men and women) and over time will see a gradual reduction in your hair volume. In this case, there is no magic pill or solution. If your hair loss is a symptom of a medical condition or prescribed meds. The resulting hair loss symptoms most likely cannot be managed naturally. The one reason for hair loss that is within your control is when your hair loss is reactive. Reactive hair loss is your body’s response to a trigger such a nutritional deficiency, which can be reversed by increasing your
nutritional intake. Keep in mind your hair is a living part of you and when your body is experiencing a nutrient deficiency, it views your hair as non-essential, so it cuts off nutrition to the hair follicles and supports the vital organs instead. In this case, try a supplement called Prairie Naturals Hair-Force. Hair force is a multivitamin for hair. It combines 22 different natural nutrients, and the combined effect of these vitamins, minerals and nutrient co-factors directly counteracts the hair-damaging negatives caused by stress, illness, hormonal imbalances and other health and environmental concerns. In most cases, once the supply of nutrients is restored, signs of hair distress will diminish (thinning hair, loss of hair strands and change in hair texture). Another option to restore your nutrient balance is Prairie Naturals Organic Spirulina Superfood, especially if you are looking for a vegan source multi. Spirulina not only contains all the required vitamins and amino acids needed for hair growth, it naturally stimulates the production of keratin, which is the primary component of hair. If Chronic stress is causing your follicles to fall (stress interrupts the life cycle of hair, causing it to fall out faster than usual), consider a B complex such as Prairie Naturals B Force Liquid Solution. Increasing your vitamin B intake can support the body’s natural response to stress and when under stress you use water-soluble B vitamins faster than you consume them. If you are still experiencing hair loss once your nutritional needs are covered, consider supplements that can provide extra support for hair such as Biotin. Biotin helps improve your keratin infrastructure and hair is made up of keratin. Prairie Naturals Ultra Silica is an important nutrient essential for bone growth but also helps to nourish hair, skin and nails while supporting the skeletal system.
Connect with us